Crooked River Ranch Fire & Rescue has teamed up with Central Oregon Community College to offer students the chance to experience the fire service while attending classes at COCC. As a student with Crooked River Ranch Fire & Rescue you will gain valuable on-the-job training while earning your certifications as a Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician later expanding to Firefighter/Paramedic.
Students are assigned to one of three shifts for the duration of their time with Crooked River Ranch Fire & Rescue. Our shifts operate on a 48/96 schedule (48-hours on and 96-hours off). As a student you will participate in regular training in all facets of fire, rescue and emergency medical services. The primary goal of the District is to help students develop skills and acquire the knowledge necessary to begin a career in the fire service.
Qualifications to become a student with Crooked River Ranch Fire & Rescue:
- 18 years of age by beginning of program
- High school diploma, G.E.D. or Certificate of Advance Mastery
- Possess, or obtain, and maintain a valid driver’s license insurable by the District’s insurance carrier
- EMT or higher
- NFPA Firefighter I or higher
- NFPA Pumper Operator
- Enrollment as a full-time student in an approved fire protection or EMS degree program.
- Maintain a minumum GPA while enrolled in classes.
- Obtain EMT certification within one (1) year of appointment.
- Obtain DPSST/NFPA Firefighter I certification within one (1) year of appointment.
- Be available for assigned duty shift except for illness, emergency, or preapproved absences.
- Attend/participate in volunteer training and Monday night drills unless absence is prearranged.
- Be available to respond to emergency calls.
- Participate in station tours, fire safety, EMS education classes and fire safety inspections.
- Other duties as assigned.
Benefits of becoming a student:
- Up to $650 per month in financial assistance including stipend, fuel reimbursement and cell phone.
- Building upon skills and knowledge through hands-on-training for future employment in the fire service.
- Experience in responding to fire and emergency medical calls with career Firefighter/Paramedics.
- Tuition/book reimbursement up to $1,750 per term.
- Preperation for the hiring processes you will encounter upon completion of the student program.
Crooked River Ranch Fire & Rescue
Phone: (541) 923-6776
Email Captain McDonald:
CRRF&R Student Program Flyer, 2020