On August 6th, 2018 the Crooked River Ranch Rural Fire Protection District Board of Directors voted to refer a 5-year Operations Levy in the amount of $0.89 per $1,000 of assessed value to the November 2018 ballot. If the levy on the November ballot passes, it would replace the current levy and increase it by $0.20. The need for an increase in the levy is a result of increasing costs to the District to provide the personnel and services for emergency response.
The current 5-year Operations Levy assists in funding career staff, equipment maintenance and replacement, and facility maintenance. These all support the District’s ability to provide a rapid response when our community needs us most. The District’s emergency responders are not only highly trained firefighters but also include EMTs and Paramedics with the ability to bring near emergency-room level assistance to our community. This levy expires June 30, 2019.
If the Operations Levy is passed the Fire District would be able to:
- Maintain current staffing levels to continue to meet the increasing call volume.
- Fund capital equipment purchases to replace obsolete equipment.
- Perform needed maintenance and upgrades to facilities.
Should the levy not pass, the Fire District’s revenue would decrease. The following changes are likely to occur:
- Emergency response services would continue to be a top priority however emergency responder staffing levels would decrease, and response times may increase to emergency calls.
- The District would not be able to fund replacement equipment.
There would be other reductions within the budget, but most reductions would come from the above two items. These items would have a direct impact on the level of service that we currently provide.
Frequently Asked Questions.
If you have questions about the 5-year Operations Levy please contact the Fire Station at (541) 923-6776. Check back often; as we receive new questions we will publish answers on this page.
- When was the last time the levy was increased? The Operations Levy was first approved by voters and went into effect on July 1, 2004. The original amount was $0.69 per $1,000 of assessed value. The original levy was renewed twice without an increase because of the fiscal responsibility of the District.
- How will the levy impact my property tax bill? It depends on the value of your property. For a home valued at $200,000 the average increase would be $40 per year or $3.33 per month.
- Will the District hire more people?The are no plans to hire new personnel. The funds from the Operations Levy would continue to support the current staffing level we have.
- Will the District get rid of Volunteers? No. The District relies on Volunteers to respond and assist with emergency responses. Without Volunteers we would not be able to provide the level of service we currently provide.
- When is the election and who gets to vote on this levy? The election will be held on November 5th, 2018. The measure will be on your ballot you receive in the mail. Only registered voters within Crooked River Ranch will be able to vote on this levy.
- Does this levy only cover PERS contributions for the District employees? No. While some of these funds will go to maintain our current number of employees, which includes contributions to their PERS, that is not all it will fund. It will also fund equipment purchases and facilities maintenance and upgrades.